Sunday, April 7, 2013

Musical Theatre's Slow Deterioration


I think the concept of musical theatre is great. It's taking the arts to the next level, and combining dance, music, and theatre to make a story even more powerful and visual.
     You have no idea how difficult musicals are to put on.  You not only need rehearsals for the acting scenes and blocking, but also to learn the music and the choreography.  If you know of anyone in a musical, they've got serious talent.

     Unfortunately, since musicals are require so much effort to pull off, I feel like the industry has begun forsaking simpler musicals for flashier ones that will draw in as big an audience as possible for the most profits. Shrek was playing in the West End in London. Shrek, I personally dislike as a musical. It gives the impression that since the movie Shrek was so popular, Shrek was created in an attempt to draw out as many profits out as possible. It has no realistic characters, and no real message. No matter how much I love Wicked, I feel it fits into this entertainment musical category as well.
    They’ve started taking artists like ABBA and Queen, and writing musicals using these songs. It’s an interesting concept, but after seeing Mamma Mia, I concluded that
In Mamma Mia, it felt like they were singing for the sake of singing, of incorporating ABBA songs. The ABBA songs were repetitive, as most pop songs are, yet with most musical theatre songs there is often a buildup of emotion, or a realization that the character makes.  I feel that it’s more effective when a character is compelled by a conflict or their emotions to sing a song that directly relates and was written for that situation. That is the most powerful song that you will hear in musical theatre, one that will move the audience.


"Music blows lyrics up very quickly, and suddenly they become more than art. They become pompous and they become self-conscious ... I firmly believe that lyrics have to breathe and give the audience's ear a chance to understand what's going on. Particularly the theater, where you not only have the music, but you've got costume, story, acting, orchestra. There's a lot to take in."
-Stephen Sondheim

4 comments:

  1. I disagree. I LOVED Mamma Mia because I absolutely love ABBA. However, with that being said, I get where you're coming from. I feel like musicals today are more to entertain the general public rather than certain individuals who have an expertise in acting. Nothing personal. :P But I did absolutely adore Les Mis and Sweeney Todd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually yeah I enjoyed Mamma Mia too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say i've seen many musicals. I saw Mamma Mia though and agree that it seems more like they threw in music just as filler not to emphasize the emotions in the musical... Sweeney Todd is undoubtably my favourite musical

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel not only theatre, but most of the art world has really started to sell out. It's less about the art/artist, and more about the money. I guess a lot of people rather try to appeal to the masses and be wealthy than truly express themselves as they wish to and be poor. I find it rather sad really.

    ReplyDelete